It seems that when things go quiet around here on my blog, that life is super busy. That's definitely been the case lately with many a day spent with paintbrush and roller in hand. While I am a little behind in sharing our renovation progress photos, I am happy to say that we are up to the painting stage in both of our kids bedrooms. I plan on sharing more posts to show the progress of each room but while I madly try and finish painting before the electrician arrives next week, I thought it would be fun to share some of my decorating ideas for my kids rooms. Firstly let's start with Jasper's room.
I have long wished, hoped and wanted to do interior design, it's a secret (not so secret anymore) dream/passion of mine. I just LOVE the idea of putting together a room that flows, works well and looks and feels beautiful to be in too. So while we have been renovating, I have been working on how I will decorate each of our rooms when they are finished.
Jasper has never been a themed bedroom kind of boy, so choosing a look for his room needed to be something that appealed to him and made his room somewhere he'd love to be. He's had a tiny enclosed verandah for a bedroom for the majority of his life so I really want his room to be super special. He is also almost a teenager, so I wanted to put together a room for him that would grow with him as he transitions into manhood.
After much looking, chatting, worrying and deciding, we finally reached the decision that Jasper's room would be an eclectic mix retro vintage/industrial style. I am SO excited and have loved putting together a design wall to show you where I'm headed. Here's the look I am heading towards for Jasper...
1. Wall colour - Dulux Tranquil Retreat half strength. We are absolutely THRILLED with this colour, it looks perfect in his space and we couldn't be happier with it. It's a lovely light grey that doesn't throw mauve as some greys can. We love it.
2. Adairs - Alpine Linen. We spent a LOT of time looking at linen for Jasper's room and actually had something else chosen. When we headed to Adairs to pop it on layby, the lovely sales lady showed this to us and we instantly knew it was the one. It is SUPER soft as well as it's made from Bamboo, so will be comfy for my boy. I can't wait to get it off layby soon.
3. Lighting - Beacon Lighting. We (and I mean me) spent AGES looking at lighting. I knew I wanted something industrial and we were heading towards cage lighting but I was worried it would be too small for the space and even though Jasper's room isn't too big, I really wanted the light fitting to be a feature. I decided that I would go with the Manor steel barn shade, and have added the cage underneath. If you take a look HERE, you can see the light we are having installed in Jasper's room next week.
4. Vintage lockers. This photo is purely for inspirational purposes, and the original source is from HERE. I am hoping to locate a set of lockers for Jasper's room that will go behind his door. It will have a sign and some globes displayed on the top. Inside the locker, he can put his shoes, books, dance bag and all manner of things. I think it will be a perfect storage piece for my boy.
5. Vintage Sign. I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a vintage sign for Jasper's room to display on his lockers (when we find some) from the lovely Lusi of Finds on Fitzroy. It was exactly what I was looking for and I know it will bring that pop of colour to his room that I was looking for.
6. Desk lamp. When searching on Beacon LIghting for our light fitting, I was thrilled to find that they had a desk lamp to match called the Harrison Adjustable Table lamp bronze. I popped one of them on layby today when buying the light fitting. I think it will be perfect for the desk we have in mind for Jasper's room.
7. Vintage Globes. For a while now we have been collecting vintage globes for Jasper's room. We have two so far (so not many yet) however I think they will look perfect on his set of lockers.
8. Desk - A Beautiful Mess. I have followed A Beautiful Mess blog for many many years and when Emma shared how to make a standing desk on their blog recently, I loved it. Upon sharing my thoughts with hubby, we decided that this type of desk would be perfect for Jasper's room as it won't take up a lot of space and be a great feature as well. I hope to add some shelving to the wall above the desk and hopefully hang a Vintage map (once I find one) on the other wall. I'm pretty excited to have a go at this project soon (or ask our builder to do it). Oh and I'll need to search for stools then too - what fun!
9. Vintage Map. As mentioned above, I am on the lookout for a vintage school/world map for Jasper's room. I can't wait to find the perfect one.
10. Inspiration - Beacon Lighting. I came across this photo on the Beacon Lighting site when I was searching for lighting for Jasper's room. It really cemented in my mind the look I am going for, a mix of vintage industrial. It also gives you a good idea of where I am headed.
We still have to find the perfect bed (and save up for it as we are doing all of this on a shoestring budget), and some artwork for the wall above his bed. If we don't add artwork, we might even add a ply wall as per the Adairs photo (number 2). I think his room will evolve as we go, but for now he sleeps on a mattress on our floor while we paint his room, and put the finishing touches to electrical and fit out etc. I hope to begin decorating VERY soon, then I will be back to show you his room and we will see how close to my inspiration wall it ends up. I can't wait to begin...