It seems once again that I renovating has gotten ahead of my updates here on my blog, so I thought it would be fun to try and catch up a little. I have a LOT to share with you so pop back regularly if you'd like to follow on this journey with us. You can read Parts ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR and FIVE of A Room for Emily if you've missed anything.
When I left off last time, our wonderful builder was working on the long external wall and had finished the front wall of Emily's room, including a new double hung wide style window.
Due to the age of this little building on our block, the builder spent quite a bit of time making sure everything was level. Sadly we had to cut some holes in the floor to jack up some of the stumps, but at the end of the day, a level building is more important than perfect floor boards. Quite quickly, the external wall came together and another wall of Emily's room was finished.
Here's what this wall looked like from our neighbours side. We still have to paint the externals of Emily's room, but it's still very exciting to see it all come together (finally).
It's so lovely to see all of the new guttering surrounding this little building too. No more guilt about the amount of water leaking everywhere when it rains.
Our builder continued working on the other side wall and I enjoyed watching this transformation take place.
It's quite a big job installing this cladding as it is a form of cement, so it is heavy but also needs to be measured to overlap the same amount from board to board. We are very thrilled with the neat job our builder did for us.
One afternoon when hubby arrived home from work, he held up one of our French Doors so that we could have a glimpse at what it would look like once they were in place. This made it all even more real and we couldn't wait until they were painted and hung in place.
Early the next morning, I made a start on painting the doors as I really wanted a coat of undercoat on them before our builder installed them. Let me tell you, masking around all of that glass is a HUGE job and I really didn't enjoy it at all. As you will see later, I only got one set of doors painted. Ah well, that's still on the 'to do' list.
Our builder then moved around the the other end wall to work on the cladding and hanging of the doors. The transformation really was amazing and after an 11 1/2 year wait, this was terribly exciting to watch.
The set of doors that I did manage to paint were also hung in place, making our little room almost ready to lock up. Just a little more cladding to go, then door furniture.
Here's a look out of the end French doors from inside the room. Other than the building rubble, the view is pretty nice (especially of the tree tops).
Here are both sets of French Doors in place. Isn't it looking SO very different already. I have plans to paint the doors a colour on the outside and white on the inside. I just have to psyche myself up for some major prep work with taping all of the glass panels.
I think that's enough of an update for this post, so I will be back soon with the continuation of this journey. It sure has been wonderful to see this transformation and to see an unused space become something so much more workable and beautiful too. Back soon with more to share...