Hello everyone! I have had a lovely question from one of my lovely readers, asking somethig many people have asked before, which is...
"How do you make a blog? What should I use to make one? Do you have any little hints for a succesful blog?"
Well today I am going to answer all these questions in one place at one time! Lets start at the very beginning... (If you will be starting your very own blog and following along, I suggest that you find a little notpad or exercise book and jot down any ideas you have as you read along, so you don't forget!)
These hints and tips are from my personal experience with blogging, and there are so many more ways and different ways you can blog, these are just some of my personal tips I use when blogging!
1. What are you going to blog about? Well, before you can do anything to start blogging, you need to start planning a few things! First you need to think about what you will blog about. You can blog about many many different topics you are interested in, or just one topic, or a few different topics, whatever you like! if you just love playing basketball, you can blog about basketball! Or if you love owls, make a blog about Owls! It all depends on your interests. My blog is all about crafting, diy's and everyday fun things for kids!
2. What will your blog be called? You can't have a blog without a name for it! Your name shouldn't be too long or too short. When deciding on a name, think of what you will be blogging about. For example, you wouldn't call your blog 'Elephant Tamer' if you were blogging about cooking! You can also think about what you are interested in, and anything you can think of! Remember - be original and creative, any name is utterly awesome!
3. What will you use to host your website? There are many different ways you can host your blog, but the top three that I highly reccomend are Typepad, Blogger and Wordpress.
Typepad is what I personally use and it is excellent. There is great stats you can view, and I really like the Theme Builder you can use to customise your blog in many different ways! There is so much more available! Typepad does cost money though, so if you are only wanting to make a blog for fun, I suggest using one of the following.
Blogger is easy to use and it is free. You can also customise your blog in the template designer, there is also great stats and more! Because it is free, I suggest this for kids and people wanting to blog for fun. You can also use Blogger professionally too, I know lot's of very proffesional Blogger Blogs!
Wordpress is a blog that I haven't personally had a lot of experience with, but some of my closest friends use it and love it! It is easy to use too and has great customising options. You can get a free Wordpress blog, or you can pay for one with a Domain name, so it's totally up to you!
Whatever you chose to use, once you sign up have a little look around and see what it's like, and learn a bit about it and figure out how to use it - you get the hang of it very easily!
4. Let us start your blog design! Now that you have a name, some ideas for your blog content and have signed up to a blog host, you are ready to start blogging! Here are some things you will need to add you to your blog to make is that bit more extra wonderful! But before you start these things, I suggest making up a colour pallette, so that everything on your blog is tied together and matches each other nicely, it will make it look so much better!
5. Blog Banner - Every blog should have a blog banner! Your blog banner could have anything on it you like and be anything you like! You could have photos, drawings, icons, anything you like! Just remember to have your blogs name on their somewhere. But, if you want, you don't even have to have that! It is all entirely up to you and your creativity!
6. A picture of you and a small Bio - In your sidebar, if is a good idea to have a photo of yourself and a small paragraph about you and your blog! You can see an example on the side of my blog! It is a good idea because you can tell people what your blog is about, and a new reader might see it and be wowed and keep coming back! You can say as much or as little as you like!
7. Blog Buttons - Blog buttons are a great idea for promoting your blog. If people love your blog, they will put your blog button in their sidebar, and therefore more people will be coming to your blog and might even keep coming back! I have a tutorial for blog buttons HERE. It is for blogger, but you can easily adapt it for Typepad and Wordpress.
8. About Page + Contact Page - It is a good idea to have an About page and a Contact page so that your readers can learn more about you and your blog, and a contact you if they have any questions or want to say hi! You can make pages under your blog header in your navigation bar, or you can link to the pages in your sidebar, whatever you prefer!
9. 'Follow My Blog' Module - On your blog, people who really love it may want to follow your blog so they never miss a post! There is a lot of options for this, and it is totally optional, but on Blogger there is a follow module, and there is on Typepad too and maybe Wordpress, or you could install a Bloglovin' button, and I am sure there are more options available too! You can even have a Follow by Email button too.
10. Search Module - If there is a certain post or topic your readers are interested in looking at, instead of going through all your pages looking for it, add a search bar! This will encourage people to come looking through your blog and therefore you will get more pageviews!
11. Categories - It is a good idea to have categories on your blog, so that if your readers LOVE looking at your blythe dolls posts, they can see all your blythe doll posts in one spot! Or your craft posts, or whatever you like! You can get more pageviews this way too! There are so many more modules and different add ons you can add to your blog, have fun searching and experimenting with different options to make your blog heaps fun for you and the reader!
12. Google Analytics - Google Analytics is a great website to sign up to for HEAPS of great stats, and I mean HEAPS! It can show you what countries people are coming from, what websites and referals, languages, who is on your blog at that very moment, and SO much more! If you are interested in having some stats like this, you can sign up very quickly, install it on your site and have fun looking at your stats!
Now that you have your blog all set up, you are ready to start blogging! Maybe start with a Welcome post, but anything you like will be wonderful! You could have some weekly blog features, some D.I.Y's, photos, videos - let your creativity run wild! Blogging is so much fun and it is such a wonderful learning experience, so remember to be creative, original and to have fun!
Here are a few tips I have for blogging:
• Blog as often as possible for you, but don't stress if you can't blog everyday! Some of my favourite blogs only blog every once in a while! Try to start by blogging once a week, and see how you go! Everyone blogs at different paces and ways, and once you get into the habit of blogging you will have your very own schedule!
• When you do blog posts, try to have a good mix of photos and words, and make it as interesting as possible! I'll tell you a little secret - blog posts are always a lot more interesting when someone blogs about something they love! Don't ever feel like you have to blog about something you don't like, because it's so much better when you blog about your interests!
• Don't turn blogging into a stressful thing, remember to always keep it fun!
• Blogging takes time and patience, and at first you might not get very many pageviews, but if you take time to blog reguraly, promote your blog and comment on others blogs you will be very successful over time!
• Remember to be original and not to copy others blogs, your original ideas are far more interesting than a carbon copy of someone else!
Have a wonderful blogging experience! I hope my tutorial was helpful to you in one way or another!
If you got this far reading, Congrats! I know that was a lot to read, but I wanted to give you all as much tips and tricks as I could! Enjoy! xoxo, Emily
PS: If you have any more questions or want to know more, feel free to meila me! You can email me @ firstname.lastname@example.org
PPS: Today I stopped accepting Pen Pal requests for the Great Penpal Swap, so if you sign up now it will be too late, so sorry! Only a few more days until I send out everyones pen pals! eeep!